You will no doubt have noticed and indeed been extremely concerned for my silence recently, a combination of reasons based largely around my website breaking (some sort of technical issue that seemed to created a glitch in the matrix that no one could fix) but also around having a light break from my own witterings.
We have had some fun since my last post, desert trips, fishing trips, boat trips, and birthday parties, the weather has been epic and the spirit amongst our imprisoned friends has been totally geared towards getting out of Doha and into as wild a spot as we can, even if it’s for a quick burger to watch another one of Qatar’s stunning dust infused sunsets.
Sadly we had to wave Derrick and his family off, as they return to Australia to start a whole new adventure, I’ll spare you the sentiment but it’s safe to say the “Festival of Stripwee” went on for some time and created the longest and most emotional goodbye celebrations I have ever experienced. They will be sorely missed by my little team, and we can’t wait to get ourselves to Australia soon to pick up where we left off. Fingers crossed I won’t be getting quite as stuck as I have been recently now that silly prick has gone.
Living in the 158th smallest country in the world with closed borders doesn’t exactly allow for the most amount of space for adventure, travel, or create much sense of freedom, so we are currently all dreaming of our first escapes post-vaccine in 2021! Whilst we have PCR’s, Quarantines, and Tiers in the UK are hog-tying any prospect of an easy and pain-free escape, we are all looking forward to both today’s National Day celebrations and then Christmas in Doha.
10 things we learnt in 2020
- Having a blog about travel and adventure in 2020 was more challenging than you would think. (Hats off to anyone who does it seriously!)
- Children are hyper annoying if you spend extended periods of time with them. (Maybe there is such a thing as too much family time.)
- Saying goodbye to your mates is really hard when they are moving 8,000 miles away, but saying goodbye to a puppy is way harder.
- Burping in a mask is revolting.
- There is no such thing as too much wine.
- Family and friends are more important than ever before, and 2021 is all about them, except when it is about skiing and going to far-flung places. Then it is all about me.
- A Mitsibushi Pajeros engine will shut down if you submerge it in seawater.
- Things were a lot simpler when all information came from limited and controlled sources. Multiple sources of open media seems to confuse humankind and creates anger, panic, fear and frustration that boils over simply from an oversupply of unfiltered information.
- Rewiring your own car to try and power a Nespresso machine is really hard and will almost certainly result in a fire.
- Eating cake, chocolate, and sweets for a whole year shrinks your clothes.
So that’s it. 2020 – it’s a wrap, finally. The f’wit of all f’wit years has finally passed, 2021 is round the corner and full of promise, Christmas is here and even my Gout is itching with excitement to get stuck in to some festive cheer.
See you all in 2021 where adventure and fun awaits us all.