This is an excellent easy to make Beef Stew Recipe I invented on a camping trip and have recreated here in very scientific detail. Cooking on a camping trip is perhaps one of the highlights, I love the planning and preparation that goes into making a meal away from home as good or better, don’t be shy and be confident with the ingredients.
Serves 6 blokes
This is my first attempt at writing a recipe, let me know if its worth carrying on…I suspect I won’t be getting a book deal anytime soon!!
First up you need to make sure you have a good kitchen set up. Have a look at this packing list for what I take as a starting point.
- Put a heavy bottomed Cast Iron pan on the fire and let it heat up
- Slice the onions, grate the garlic and whack them in the pot with the oil.
- Sear the Beef in the hot oil until browned at the edges
- Add the Tomatoes and Juice
- Add the Tomato puree
- Add the celery chopped up finely
- Add the chilli flakes
- Add carrots chopped into circles for a retro stew…
- Let it all simmer nicely for at least 15 mins/ 1 beer
- Add beef stock, lea and Perrins, red wine to taste
- Add a bit more of chilli, stock, red wine
- Let it all simmer for another 15 mins/ 1 beer
- Wrap the baguette in foil and warm on the lid of the pot, being careful not to burn them.